Victoire Larmenier, foundress of the Sisters of Nazareth, began her ministry to the elderly poor soon after entering the novitiate in 1851. She journeyed from France with three other Sisters at the request of the London branch of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul to create a foundation to care for the marginalized aging members of that community. Despite limited resources, the Sisters established the first Nazareth House in 1857 in Hammersmith, England--which today remains the organization's international headquarters. The Sisters of Nazareth was officially recognized by the Holy See as a religious community in 1864. By the time Victoire Larmenier died in June 1878, she had overseen the founding of eight other Nazareth Houses in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Link to The Sisters of Nazareth Website
In 1924, Archbishop John J. Cantwell invited the Sisters of Nazareth to California, where they founded the first Nazareth House in the United States, in San Diego. A decade later, an elderly couple--Mr. and Mrs. Fritz--donated a furnished apartment building in Hollywood to the Sisters, who used the facility to establish a home for the aging on September 6, 1935.
Although Nazareth House Los Angeles expanded during those early years, by the mid-1940s it became apparent that a larger, more modern facility would be needed to provide affordable housing and residential care to the region's rapidly growing population. In 1950, the Sisters acquired an assisted-living facility adjacent to the Cheviot Hills neighborhood in West Los Angeles for the purchase price of $360,000, bolstered by leadership support from the Carrie Estelle Doheny Foundation.
What now serves as the main building fronting Manning Avenue was constructed between 1952 and 1954, when the Care Center--our on-site skilled-nursing facility--also opened. Initially limited to elderly women, Nazareth House expanded by 1960 to also become a sanctuary for aging couples and elderly men of all faiths seeking a high-quality, residential facility to support their physical, emotional and spiritual well-being.
We, the Sisters of Nazareth, aim to share the love of God through our ministries of care and education and our openness to respond to the needs of the times.
WHAT WE DO
The Sisters of Nazareth foster a warm, home-like atmosphere and a vibrant living community, with meaningful opportunities for fellowship; activities that engage and rejuvenate body, mind and spirit; and transportation for residents to medical appointments, shopping excursions and commercial services, such as banking. Mass is celebrated twice daily and Nazareth House's beautiful chapel is always open for residents, no matter what their faith. For those who require skilled nursing care, we also maintain a 24-hour Care Center dedicated to their needs.
Nazareth House Los Angeles has served as home for thousands of seniors from throughout Southern California. From the earliest days to the present, the Sisters have faithfully fulfilled our mission of creating a safety net for seniors of limited means. Today Nazareth House remains the only Catholic assisted-living facility on the west side of Los Angeles.
Board of Trustees
Ms. Mary Pat Cooper, Ambassador, Society of the Little Flower
Mr. Phil Devin, Ph.D., Rand Corporation
Mr. Eddie Finucci, J.D., Honorary Vice Consul of Italy
Ms. Monika White, Ph.D., Founder, Monika White Consulting; Board Member, California Council on Gerontology & Geriatrics
Sr. Marie McMcCormack, CSN, Regional Superior, Sisters of Nazareth
Sr. Gertrude Hennessey, CSN, Ph.D.
Sr. Fintan Keaveney, CSN
Sr. Catherine Rae, CSN, M.Ed.
Sr. Margaret Spence, CSN